Vocal Warmup to Open Your Voice (and Give Yourself Love!)
Singer buds! Many of you have talked to me about the incredible amounts of tension you experience while singing, and I want to help!
I’ve been cooking up some cool warmups that (1) Relax you, (2) Open your voice, (3) Get you LOVING on yourself and feeling confident. 🙂
(I’ve been trying to come up with a title for these, I’m thinking “Let’s Get Singer-High”?)
Anyway, I wanted to give you a short ‘n’ sweet preview of one warmup that will get you to:
(1) Open your voice and relax your throat and larynx
(2) Lift your soft palate while relaxing your jaw
(3) Look at yourself in the mirror and think HEY I LOVE MYSELF!
And here it is!
The sung line is “I LIKE LOOKING AT YOU” and the musical pattern is 1-1-3-2-1-1.
Here’s the nitty gritty:
(1) Look in the mirror while you do this. It will help to make sure….
(2) You keep the back of your mouth open and relaxed the whole time, kind of like you’re yawning. So you sing “I LIKE LOOKING AT YOU” more like “I LAHK LUHKING AHT YUH.”
(2) When you create these words, keep your jaw dropped and try not to move it. Stay open.
(3) Your tongue basically has two “touch points”: the back of your bottom teeth, and the back of your top teeth.
(4) Start around a middle C and go for about an octave and change. Stop if it starts to hurt.
(5) As always, breathe using your diaphragm!
(6) Really heed the words you’re saying. YOU LIKE LOOKING AT YOURSELF because DAYMN you’re sexy.
Hope this warmup is helpful! Leave me a comment to let me know (1) if some more warmups from me to relax you and get you feeling the love for yourself and your voice sounds fun, (2) whether you enjoyed this warmup!
P.S. Fellow songwriters! Tonight at 8PM my voice teacher Cari Cole is doing a Facebook live event for songwriters!
It’s her 2nd free training before her Signature Songwriting Circle begins this week — enrollment period is almost over and the course is almost sold out.
The free training topic is:
…and it’s going to be rad.
Cari Cole is an Artist Development Expert & New Music Business Mentor, and she has so much wisdom to offer to aspiring songwriters ready to get serious. She’s going to share how there are no real “tricks” to songwriting, and describe how you can hone your artistic process to truly reach your full potential.
See you soon, amigos! xoxoxo